By Kelly Bergeron
We’ve recently volunteered to organize a regular NTEN Toronto Tech Club meeting, you can join the Meetup group here. NTEN’s Sarah helped us curate a questionnaire and we fired it off to everyone we knew. Take a look below at the overwhelming response and join the online group to keep up with Tech Club news. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
A special thanks to Karen Goldlist (@thecauseproject), Ushnish Sengupta (@FreeGeekToronto), Julian Egelstaff (@free4orm) and Tierney Smith (@techsoupcanada) for meeting at the Ontario 211 office to exchange their ideas pre-kickoff. At this point, it looks like the first meeting will take place at the end of September. Stay tuned for more details!
Thanks everyone for your participation in the survey.
|Q3. Which of the following most accurately describes your organization?|
|Management Support Organization||1.4%||3|
|Technology Support Organization||8.1%||17|
|Public Sector/Government Agency||4.3%||9|
|Other (please specify)||5.2%||11|
|Q4. If your organization has a programmatic focus, which of the following represent your focus area?
|Other (please specify)||19.6%||37|
|Q5. How often would you be interested in attending local events?|
|Twice a month||13.6%||28|
|Other (please specify)||1.9%||4|
|Q7. What type of events are you interested in attending?|
|Presentation / Speakers||86.8%||177|
|Open space / organic presentation, conversation, groups||54.4%||111|
|Workshops / Trainings||80.4%||164|
|Other (please specify)||3.4%||7|
Q9. Are there any topics, issues, or organizations you wish you could hear from/about? Who else would you want to invite or meet at these events?
- NTEN activities that could be implemented locallyUnited Way, TCHC, Oxfam, World Vision
- Other nonprofits struggling with technology
- Raising Technology dollars or corporate sponsorship of technology requirments for the ecompany
- Open Source in Nonprofits
- Mobile Internet applications
- Using automation, outsourcing, and remote access to manage large computer deployments with small staff
- I am most interested in donor databases, and whether / how to integrate them with databases of other sorts (patrons, clients, etc.)
- inter-agency efforts to support a regional focus on services or getting our heads above the trees
- I would like to learn more about social media, video and photo editing, web design, and desktop publishing
- Building database for local use How to increase our web visibility SEO Using ad words on the web
- Integration of social media tools into work of the organization. How to make the most of social media on limited budget and with limited staff resources.
- Improving desired outcomes for NPO’s – renewing memberships, increasing advocacy or volunteering, increasing donations or activities. Sharing best practices for improving continually.
- It would be great to get in speakers from Google to talk about SEO or similar topics surrounding web marketing strategies.
- I am personally interested in hearing about different membership/association software solutions, like YourMembership.com.
- mental health, progressive technology being used in new innovative ways
- Social media, online marketing and fundraising, videos
- I would want to hear from technical professionals with an innovative and cutting edge vision of how the latest proven technology can help non profits fulfill their mission.
- Integrating social networking with offline marketing tactics. Website optimization and data compilation.
- Cause marketing
- Information Management Business Streamlining
- Always interested in how organizations use training / learning interventions and whether they are successful or not
- About any tools to create infographics/data vizualizations
- Drupal, configuration management, CRM, “hard” IT stuff (servers, networks), technology policies, GIS!
- Crowd-funding organizations, cloud computing organizations
- Use of social media, internet security, legal protection of npo online, fundraising online, advocacy, meeting others with success at fundraising and community organizing, linking social media and websites etc
- A range of topics is good. Speakers, workshops, etc. with breakout groups (to discuss the subject presented) is best.
|Q10. Please rate the following topics in terms of your or your organization’s current interest in learning or training:|
|Answer Options||Not Important At All||Significant Interest for Us||Rating Average||Response Count|
|Databases / CRM||8||17||37||51||58||3.78||171|
|Leadership/Mission for IT Staff||27||41||47||40||16||2.87||171|
|Marketing / Branding||5||13||35||51||71||3.97||175|
|Municipal Wireless/Broadband Access||55||42||35||25||7||2.31||164|
|Understanding Social Media||9||17||45||47||57||3.72||175|
|Deploying Social Media||5||10||39||56||65||3.95||175|
|Translating Content (other languages)||57||39||42||16||14||2.35||168|
|Virtual Teams (Working Remotely)||25||33||41||39||30||3.1||168|
|Systems / CMS||15||18||52||40||43||3.46||168|
|Q11. Please rate the following topics in terms of you or your organization’s current interest in presenting or sharing your experience:|
|Answer Options||Not Interested or Able||Very Interested||Rating Average||Response Count|
|Databases / CRM||81||17||23||16||6||1.94||143|
|Leadership/Mission for IT Staff||102||21||11||5||3||1.49||142|
|Marketing / Branding||63||28||21||17||15||2.26||144|
|Municipal Wireless/Broadband Access||113||12||10||3||3||1.38||141|
|Understanding Social Media||48||24||31||28||15||2.58||146|
|Deploying Social Media||49||22||37||22||19||2.6||149|
|Translating Content (other languages)||115||14||10||1||1||1.29||141|
|Virtual Teams (Working Remotely)||85||25||21||7||4||1.73||142|
|Systems / CMS||79||28||15||10||10||1.9||142|